As August is quickly approaching, summer vacation is also coming to a close. However, there is still time to take a quick, affordable vacation if you haven’t been able to do so yet. Vacations are not only relaxing, they’re also great for your health. In fact, vacations lower your stress, reduce heart disease risks, improve productivity and give you a chance to catch up on sleep.
- Consider camping. An average hotel costs you about $100 a night, assuming you’re not staying in the suites. And most likely, you’re not just staying in a hotel for one night. A tent on the other hand, is a one-time payment of $100 that can be used for several years. That right there is several hundreds of dollars that could go right back to your bank account if you want to have a more adventurous vacation.
- Opt to drive. While planes are the faster alternative, they can be expensive, especially if you book on a short notice. Depending on where you go, it’s cheaper to pay for gas and, bonus, you get amazing scenery that you can’t see from a plane. Make sure to pack food so you don’t spend extra money at fast-food stops.
- Look at travel apps. If you don’t have enough time to drive, check out travel apps such as Hopper, or, STA Travel if you’re a student. These apps give you discounts and show you which day has the cheapest flights. You can also set the apps to give you notifications when they find a cheap flight.
- Look for less pricey activities. While people love Disneyworld or other amusement parks, the high cost takes the fun out of it. In fact, entrance to Disneyworld is over $100 dollars a day. Museums are often free on certain days or if there is a fee, it’s rather small. Otherwise, look at State or National parks and set up hiking or biking trips. You can spend a few days here for the same price as one day in Disneyworld. And you’re likely to get more exercise and eat healthier!
- Visit a relative. Staying in touch with family is important for our state of mind and often they roll out the red carpet….as long as you don’t stay too long! This will reduce hotel costs and they know all the great things to do in their city.
- And as always, call Credit Advisors Foundation for more advice on how to create a budget so you can save for your dream vacation!